Thursday, February 25, 2010

Humpty Dumpty baby shower cake

I thought I would start with a few of my older cakes I have made. I wish I had thought to capture the whole process, but I wasn't really thinking about doing a blog at the time. I am in no way a professional, I just figure my own ways through trial and error (usually a lot of error!) These pictures aren't all fancy, again I wasn't taking them for blogging purposes.

I made the Humpty Dumpty cake for my sister's baby shower! I was so excited when I came up with the idea to make this cake, but I will admit I was terrified that it was going to turn out wrong because I didn't have a back up plan for her shower. Thankfully I got lucky!

I was buying a lot of cake pans from a local lady and she had the egg shaped pan that she gave me because she couldn't find the other half of it, I was dying for something to do with it! The only problem was trying to figure out how to keep it from tipping over in the oven. I just took some aluminum foil and made a "nest" for the egg to sit in (good ole mother nature!) I just used a regular 9 x 13 pan for the wall.

I had piped the lines for the bricks and thought that they were just too plain and bright white so I took some of the chocolate icing and mixed a in some water to thin it out, then used a new, clean damp paper towel to dab the mixture onto the bricks to give them some texture and color.

For Humpty Dumpty, I piped his arms directly onto the cake board and piped his legs up from the side of the cake to the top to give the appearance he was sitting on the wall with his hands resting on the top of the wall. I used the image off of the stamp I made the shower invites for, as a reference for his over all look.

He wasn't perfect, but he sure turned out cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment